[TowerTalk] Fwd: rotor problems

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: rotor problems
From: terry burge <ki7m@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2019 16:44:42 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Again,

My rotor started working again after one day of  'AWOL'. I had ohmed things out
as I showed and it only seemed like the 4-5-6 pins were suspect. (4-5 and 5-6
was 15 ohms and 4-6 a short). The rotor now seems like going left is slower
than going right. And I am going to be trying to be gentile moving the rotor
and also use the reverse function on the Steppir. Be just my luck P5 shows up
and the rotor quits again don't you know.

I ordered another Yaesu G-1000DXA from Giga-parts for their $575 price and also
the control cable that I can split and install crimp on connectors for
extending the length. My particular situation requires about 300+ feet of cable
so you know any lose connections might effect it. I did consider the G-2800DXA
since it uses the same 6 wire control line(s) but at least with this one the
main body can just be slipped in on the tower making for a simple fix (I hope).
I have had good luck with the G-1000DXA as far as handling some pretty good
size antennas.

One thing that helps is I have already installed crimps on the cable after
having a time trying to solder those miniature connectors and crimp the
controller end. That on both ends of the rotor cable. Even with the right
crimping tool those Teflon connector pins are a challenge for me. Did get some
direction(s) for buying 'tweezer' soldering irons but the good ones cost enough
to choke a horse. That's for the screw on connectors. Ebay does have a
selections one or two that I'll try out. But it just seems Yaesu's idea for
connectors could have been done better with screw on style like Hygain/CDE/MFJ
(MFJ owns them now).

Having a test lead for the controller at the base of the tower did actually
turn one way a bit but not the other. But at least it was there to test the
rotor if/when these things happen to track a problem down. Would you believe I
was even thinking about buying another steppir and mounting it half way up the
tower at 90 degrees from the other steppir beam?

Terry

KI7M