Re: [TowerTalk] Deviation from plumb

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Mac" <libbysales@austin.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Deviation from plumb
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2019 14:29:07 -0400
I can think of several reasons that a tower gets out of plumb:

1) Settling of ground around the tower base – especially when it is an
asymmetric combination of ledge and dirt  - just look at what happens
to the doorjambs inside of houses – where the cracks appear.  Also foundation
cracks seen in the concrete on the basement walls and basement floors.

2) Minor earthquakes – Richter 1 – 2 range – the kind that you don’t even feel
or notice – we get those here in Connecticut

3) Hurricanes, tornados and damaging wind events – thankfully infrequent but
can certainly stretch the guys unequally (especially if you have substantially
different length guys like I do), physically twist the tower, etc.

4) Large Ice storms with heavy ice which puts tremendous additional weight on
the tower and guys – even worse if there are strong winds pushing on the
heavily ice-encased tower and guys.

I have to realign the tower every so often by adjusting the guys to straighten
the tower and then resetting the tension on each guy. Each tower and every guy
wire should be rechecked at least annually and preferably after a very severe
storm.

Bob  KQ2M