Re: [TowerTalk] Have you had success with ....

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Have you had success with ....
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2019 22:50:22 -0700
I think the topic "resonance of yagi elements" has a total attention in publications of about zero. Then the topic, "coupled resonances of yagi elements" has substantially less coverage. With a big stack it is interesting to watch how turning one affects all others.

IMO real understanding is beyond any rule of thumb, however I do like the thin wall connected to thick wall reasoning. And building decent models for analysis would be exceeding difficult to get all of the reality captured correctly.

So if elements are buzzing or seriously vibrating then adding some dampening such as Telrex did for TH7s (I've had two, built to manual with great survival) seems like a good idea. I also learned that a vertical guyed at 50% and 100% was a bad idea as the coupled resonances were dramatic until fatigue broke it in half.

One more comment re tip sealing. It's very important on a SteppIR w/o trombones. I really like a bit of open cell foam in the tip plus a cap with a hole/notch at the south edge for drainage. Bugs kept out, water let out. My 4L steppIR works FB after 7 years in rainy EWA.

Grant KZ1W