Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR and SO2R

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR and SO2R
From: Pavel Perchine <va6am.engineering.sale@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 19:40:32 -0600
>Just for accuracy I timed my 3 element 20-6 meter steppir changing bands from
>20-15 (9 seconds) and 20-10 (14 seconds). 10-15 (7 seconds) and 10-20 (15
>seconds). Now I am not familiar operating SO2R but as I understand it two
>operating positions using the same antenna so would be a train wreck in the
>making.

...just a few words to add.

The SO2R operation is  when the 1st radio is TX on one band and the
2nd radio is RX on another band the same time.
In between, band can be switched any moment  to TX on the 2nd radio
and Rx on the 1st one.
By such a setup, you can control two bands the same time to have QSOs
and Multipliers the same time on different bands.
You can have multiple antennas on one or many towers for such a SO2R
Run or Triplexer with BPFs system which separates one coax line from
Tribander into three independent bands after BPFs which can be
considered like three antennas on different towers.
All you need is a band isolation better than 75-80dB and you can
operate a legal power SO2R with a single tribander and single coax
fed-line.
Actually, you can run all three bands simultaneously if your Tribander
can handle in total 5000W output power from three amplifiers.

If you have stack of  twoTribanders you can add a stack-matches  and
the 2nd Triplexer and have 6 antennas which can be used flexible in
many different combinations. For those limited in space to install
many towers, such a setup allows to be a real SO2R station to compete.

Pavel
VA6AM