Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR and SO2R

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR and SO2R
From: terry burge <ki7m@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 13:27:11 -0700 (PDT)
Just for accuracy I timed my 3 element 20-6 meter steppir changing bands from
20-15 (9 seconds) and 20-10 (14 seconds). 10-15 (7 seconds) and 10-20 (15
seconds). Now I am not familiar operating SO2R but as I understand it two
operating positions using the same antenna so would be a train wreck in the
making. Can't see how it could be done without separate antennas, XCVR's setup
to not transmit at the same time, and some very coordinated operators. No
wonder I never tried it although I have pushed the rules when going for a
multiplier on a second band. I know my friend K7ZS does this but besides his 4
el steppir he also has a TH6DXX half way up his tower so I can see that would
work. I know his scores probably double my SOAB at least on some contest like
CQWWPHN. And that is when I am having pretty decent luck. But each contest has
it's own flavor and sometimes getting some sleep can be challenging. Anyway the
point is while it would be possible to operate with separate antennas I can't
see how a steppir could work changing bands for two operating positions. They
are great antennas and do well on multiple bands but not for SO2R (IMHO). Now
multiple steppir antennas would work.

Terry
KI7M