Re: [TowerTalk] Hornet Nest on the End of the Boom - How do you safely g

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hornet Nest on the End of the Boom - How do you safely get rid of this?
From: Steve65 <steve65@suddenlink.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2019 23:46:44 -0400
My dad had honeybees. On occasion he wanted to move them around. But never in the daytime because worker bees that were away would not be able to find a relocated hive. Even if moved just a few inches. Or so my dad told me.

Wonder how accurate a hornet's navigation capability is? What if you were to rotate the antenna to the opposite direction at midday when many of the insects are away from the nest foraging for food? Perhaps the returning hornets will be unable to find the nest at its new location 24ft distant from where it was when they left? Give the "lost" hornets a few days to die off and then rotate the antenna again and lose some more of the worker insects. Over the course of a few weeks one might largely depopulate the nest of its worker bees and perhaps the entire colony would die off.

Good luck with it.

Steve, K8JQ