Re: [TowerTalk] Radials vs. cows

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radials vs. cows
From: Gary Johnson <gwj@wb9jps.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 18:44:42 -0700
The advice so far is consistent: Other than moderately deep burial, any other radial installation will eventually become cow chow.

Some background. This is a 30 ft commercial tower on a ridge top that we are getting a ride on. Basically we stuck a Yagi and a 40/30 dipole on top. The land owner will not permit any kind of elevated radials nor other vertical elements nor pretty much anything else. The only thing I talked him into for the low bands is use of an existing 6 ft fence post about 90 ft away, so for 80m we have a half-sloper (fed at the top of course). Extensive simulation says that having at least a few radials should lower the radiation angle and improve the match. But it can function without them.

So I’ll try to do some trenching, if I can.

Gary NA6O