Re: [TowerTalk] High VSWR

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] High VSWR
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 21:03:58 -0700

Re cable clips guy failure - With the clips tightened with a torque wrench, were they re-torqued as mentioned to the specs in the Crosby catalog? Were the clips Crosby or some big box Chinese knockoffs? Was the cable USA EHS? Then the best result is 80% of the wire rope strength up to 7/8".

Nicopress sleeves are better. Swaged terminals and Spelter sockets are the best, achieving 100% of wire rope strength since there is no loop or thimble. The Crosby Wire Rope End Terminations catalog/user manual is very informative.

I just completed a number of Nicopress crimp sleeves with my 3' long crimper on 1/4" 7x19 galvanized. A serious effort with a handle on the floor and using my body weight. So it is off to the rigging shop for bigger stuff if ever needed.

Grant KZ1W