Re: [TowerTalk] High VSWR

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] High VSWR
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2019 11:14:51 -0700
On 9/3/19 10:42 AM, Doug Ronald wrote:
People would show up at every hearing, and there were four hearings, and say things like: "I
don't want ANYTHING manmade in my view shed!".  Another couple some 2.5 miles away
line-of-sight, would show up and demand that the county not allow anything like this to be
permitted. From my site, the county required that I fly a helium filled weather balloon at 100 feet
after which we all went around to the various "neighbors" locations to see how visible
the balloon was. The clowns 2.5 miles away had no chance of even seeing the antenna ever.

Viewshed protection is a big deal in California, particularly along the coasts. There were lessons learned from the 70s and 80s when development occurred everywhere right up and over ridgelines and such. There were some egregious failures in planning and so, in the usual way, the pendulum swings way towards the other end. A lot depends on land values, of course - I suspect it's easier (but still a pain) to get permitted in more obscure locations (central coast, south of Big Sur, perhaps) than in popular areas (you're not going to be able to build a big house on a visible ridgeline or mountaintop in Malibu).

After all, not everyone can be like Hearst back in the late 1800s, and just buy all the land within sight of your house (or campsite, back then)

California, Oregon, Washington and Maine all have laws requiring municipalities and counties to consider these kinds of things in coastal areas. Many cities (including Paris France) have building height limits.

So, while that mountain top site overlooking the Pacific Ocean may be attractive for working JA (or P5<grin>) building a big tower may not be possible.