Re: [TowerTalk] Open wire measurments

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Open wire measurments
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2019 14:15:49 -0700
Some analyzers are better than others to produce this data. OZ7OU has produced some excellent applications notes on the topic of VIA and VNA calibration for S11 measurements, and has developed an excellent test once the instrument is calibrated. This one is specifically written for the DG8SAQ VNWA, but the concept applies universally.

http://www.hamcom.dk/VNWA/How%20to%20check%20the%20calibration%20for%20perfection%20of%20the%20VNWA%20or%20any%20other%20VNA.pdf

After calibration, a short length (1-2m) of coax is measured from very low frequency to 100 MHz, and S11 in dB and the Smith chart are examined. If calibration is good, S11 should always be negative and fall smoothly with increasing frequency; the Smith trace should start at the right edge of the outer limit of the chart,and smoothly circle around the chart with a gradually falling radius due to increasing loss at high frequencies.

And I completely agree with both Wes's and Paul's comments.

There is also the need to recalibrate to whatever fixture is used to connect the line. I use a BNC female to dual male banana (Pomona) adapter with alligator clips pushed onto the bananas, and calibrate to the tips of the clips.

73, Jim K9YC