Re: [TowerTalk] Open wire measurments

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Open wire measurments
From: Wes <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2019 15:34:10 -0700
Paul,

I have a number of analyzers, the gold standard DG8SAQ, the FA-VA5, the RigExpert AA-55 Zoom, the EU1KY FAA-450 and a coax bridge used with my HP 8405 Vector Voltmeter, but I do not have the CIA, so can't speak to it.

Having written about measuring window line a number of years ago when I had access to an HP-8510, which didn't cover HF, I decided to remeasure some line with HF equipment that I now own and with some hindsight and new computational tools.  Since we tend to quote things (in the colonies) in dB/100 feet, I decided to actually measure 100' of line as I mentioned previously.  As I don't have 100+ feet of air-conditioned space I was doing this outside and the WX was simply too toasty to do extensive tests at that time.  (I intend to revisit this when it cools off, November maybe.)  Nevertheless, my preliminary measurements showed that, even with the AA-55, completely battery-powered analyzer, some common-mode choking stabilized the results.

I have no doubt that less reflective loads can be adequately measured without common-mode suppression, but my task has to handle 100% reflections and do it pretty accurately.

Wes  N7WS