Re: [TowerTalk] Polygon Guy Rods

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Polygon Guy Rods
From: john@kk9a.com
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2019 06:04:54 -0500
Nice update. The Polygon Rod is scary stuff, I recall reading posts about it breaking new when unrolling. A guy break on the tower could be quite expensive or even worse so I am glad that you switched to Phillystran. I have been using 6700I and 11200I Philly for decades without issue and it is really easy to work with. Hopefully Tim, you were able to find a good place to purchase this product:)

John KK9A

Tim Duffy k3lr wrote:

I participated in a group buy of Polygon Rod in the late 1980s. Quite a
learning curve.

Even UV stabilized is only good for about 10 years - then needs replaced.
Difficult to work with.

I had one Polygon rod guy break mid span on my 40 meter tower (it was 5
years old). That was the end.

Just finished this summer getting all of the Polygon rod replaced with
Phillystran on the tall towers at K3LR. Properly maintained and inspected
Phillystran with the appropriate preformed line grip terminations should
last 30 plus years - no breaks or surprises so far with Phillystran.

73
Tim K3LR