Re: [TowerTalk] Shunt Feeding a Vertical

To: Wes <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shunt Feeding a Vertical
From: VE6WZ_Steve <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2019 14:58:34 -0600
Hi Wes,

To be clear, I am referring only to matching a shunt-fed tower using either the
traditional Gamma match (a single series capacitor) or the  Omega match.

If you currently have a shunt-fed tower with a single capacitor Gamma capacitor
in series with the coax at the feed-point, and you have a 1:1 match, if you
move that tap point higher or lower on the tower, you will never get a 1:1
match.  That is because the Real R measured at the feed point will be greater
or lower than 50 ohms.

This is not “theory”. It is how it actually works.

Perhaps if you were to watch my YouTube video this will be clear. I spent a
fair bit of time actually showing these real measurements in the field on my
tower.  In the video I show how the real resistance changes as the shunt wire
is moved higher or lower on the tower.  I also show exactly what happens when
you move the wire closer or further from the tower.  A movie is worth a million
words.

Start the video at 2:10 if you don't want to watch it all.
https://youtu.be/cHlc5MTGTFM <https://youtu.be/cHlc5MTGTFM>

Wes…..PLEASE….After you have watched the video let me know if there is
something wrong with the “fifty-ohm” point.

Steve VE6WZ