Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp on Coax connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp on Coax connectors
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2019 21:46:22 -0400
On 09/08/19 21:26 PM, Steve Maki wrote:

I meant brass style

Older Heliax connectors - the bronze style (I'm talking old here) - had solder center pins. Nowadays they are of the captured center pin style, as are most LMR connectors like EZ400's and COMP-400's.

For braided coax with a solid center conductor, I like connectors that have precision captured center pins, where the (beveled) center conductor squeezes in with force. After installation, it can slide back and forth a tiny bit in the pin if needed due to temperature extremes without breaking anything or moving the pin and losing contact with the mating connector. Which IS a thing. Maybe not with UHF connectors, but with N's, definitely. Not sure if there IS a PL-259 like that, if not, there should be.

If the center conductor is stranded, there is no captured center pin connector available, for obvious reasons. Well if it's not obvious, it's because it would take a miracle to get all the strands inserted into a precision pin, and there would be no way to know for sure how successful you were.

In that case take your pick, solder or crimp or both...

-Steve K8LX