Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp on Coax connectors

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crimp on Coax connectors
From: "Zivney, Terry" <00tlzivney@bsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2019 18:09:22 +0000
Why to crimp on UHF male connectors have solder center conductors?

Because the crimp takes up some of the length
of the center pin, about one-eighth of an inch
on the crimp-on connectors I use on my RG400.
That portion of the center pin that is crimped -
and is at the tip of the pin - cannot make contact
with the female contact in the SO239 connector.
If the spring of  the SO239 has been sprung by
inserting a connector which had a solder blob
at the tip, or a miscentered pin from the previous
PL259 not being snuggly tightened so that the
pin can move under the weight of the cable
connected to it, then the tip of the new PL259
inserted into the SO239 may not make reliable
contact.  I have had this happen on more than
one occasion with PL259/SO239 combinations.

Terry N4TZ