Re: [TowerTalk] Receiving a crank-up tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com, Art Greenberg <art@artg.tv>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Receiving a crank-up tower
From: Michael OBrien <k0myw@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2019 06:20:37 +0000 (UTC)
 You've already received good ideas, but here's what I did in receiving my
HDX-555, which weighs about 800 pounds and arrived in an enclosed
tractor-trailer rig:

When the delivery driver alerted me to his ETA, I summoned (by pre-arrangement)
a local heavy-duty tow truck with a hydraulic boom. The tow truck driver just
extended the boom into the trailer, picked up the tower with a couple of
appropriately placed slings, then backed the tower out and set it down in my
driveway. That entire operation took all of 15 minutes.

My driveway is paved. So after the OTR driver and tow truck driver departed, I
used a rented heavy-duty engine hoist on casters to lift the tower again (with
my own slings) and simply pushed it myself on the pavement to the back yard.
The tower foundation is close enough to the edge of the driveway that I could
maneuver the tower almost into position for attachment to the base. I did have
to call upon a neighbor to nudge the tower the final few inches so that I could
insert bolts.

Good luck with your delivery. I'm sure that at least some of the suggestions
you've received will apply to your situation.

73,

de k0myw

     On Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 6:16:26 PM CDT, Art Greenberg