Re: [TowerTalk] 80M antenna wire size

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80M antenna wire size
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2020 20:18:54 -0800
Teflon insulated wire, especially the silver-coated stranded copper I've found on the internet to wind chokes, is VERY nice stuff. And it's expensive.

Sometimes it can be quite worthwhile to make antennas less visible, and reduced weight can be an advantage in some situations, but those are the only good reason I can think for doing that way. There are times I've suggested enameled wire for low visibility. As noted, insulation will lower the resonance slightly, and although larger conductor diameters can increase SWR bandwidth, that's hardly a critical factor, it's likely to be too little to notice for the relatively small change from #14 to #20.

73, Jim K9YC