Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Crimp-On Connectors

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Crimp-On Connectors
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2020 19:15:16 -0800
I've been using the DX Eng supplied PL design for 8X and their LMR400 version, also Amphenol RG8 crimp. On both the RG8X-LL from Davis and DXE's RG8X and DXE 400MAX (I think it is called) and Buryflex. I do subscribe to K3LR's comment that crimp is a must for foam insulation coax. For solid PE coax PL's, I will use up my inventory of Amphenol solder PL's.

Crimp tools are the stock ones for these coax sizes. I only use solder center pin connectors. btw RG400 and RG142 double silver shield TFE coax did require odd size crimp tools. Same for RG178/179. Mixes of PL and BNC crimps on these. My check for a good crimp is to try to pull the connector off with force that feels right for the coax type before soldering the pin. Maybe there is a spec for this.

The waterproofing detail is a bit different but always adhesive lined heat shrink PL barrel to coax which IMO makes the #33 tape overwrap work better. The permanent outdoor weatherproofing follows with the Andrew butyl tape, more #33 and acrylic spray 2 coats.

Usually 50+ inches of rain here, .1" inch at a time, all the time.

Grant KZ1W
Redmond, WA