Re: [TowerTalk] Help identifying alloy in mast

To: john@kk9a.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help identifying alloy in mast
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 09:35:44 -0800

On 2/10/2020 7:35 AM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
There are companies that purchase scrap metal from manufacturing plants. They have an analysis gun that can show the chemical composition of carbon steel. I have watched someone use one, they are very quick and appear to be accurate however you would need to remove the zinc in the test area.  Another option is to cut off a sample and test the hardness using a Brinell Hardness testing machine and compare it to the chrome molly and 1026 steel specs.

For some reason hams seem to be obsessed with 2" chrome molly masts.

73,

John KK9A

It's good to know that it can be tested.  It would probably
require "connections" to get this done at a price that
wouldn't exceed the value of the mast.

Can you expand on your comment about the chromoly obsession?
I too keep reading the chromoly "hype" (?) here on TT.
Is it possibly overrated? Or maybe it's the real deal.
I don't have an opinion as a non-expert; just trying to learn about it.

Rick N6RK