Re: [TowerTalk] Help identifying alloy in mast

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help identifying alloy in mast
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 14:29:43 -0500
The first question is do you really need a 4130 mast or is 1026
sufficient.  1026 is pretty strong and if you need a stronger mast using 2"
diameter is probably not the best choice.  I have no idea why this
became the standard, but I have not used a 2" mast in decades. My 80 ft
tower has a homebrew 3" diameter 1026 DOM mast which if I recall correctly
is stronger and was definitely less money than Ø 2" 4130 plus it is easier
to clamp to and also climb. At my Aruba station I used Ø 2 1/2 6061 for my
4el monobanders which held up fine in that tropical environment.  I really
miss WD9P's online mast calculator, it made it easy to see how different
materials and different diameters and wall thicknesses
affected mast strength and what is needed for a given windload.

73,
John KK9A

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy 7 edge, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.