Re: [TowerTalk] Broken Alpha Spid

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Broken Alpha Spid
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 11:51:04 -0700

Of the commonly available rotators, one of K7NV's rebuilt prop pitch units is probably the most durable for heavy loads.

In my opinion, next would probably be the ProSisTel PST-71D (which I have), but it weighs almost 90 pounds.

The ProSisTel PST-61D is generally considered similar to the Orion 2800.  I still have one with stripped gears (antennas are OB16-3 and OB2-40), but I get horrendous whirling winds here, and when they hit the tower head on the torque forces on the boom ADD instead of balance. That's a tough task for any rotator, but so far the 71D has held up.

I guarantee you won't break the mounting bracket on the ProSisTel units, but you'd be wise to buy (or make your own like I did) something like this for a mast clamp since the ProSisTel clamp is a poor design:

https://www.championradio.com/Orion-2800-Replacement-Mast-Clamp.44

or this one, which I believe is made by K7NV:

https://www.arraysolutions.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=14825&search=mast+clamp

73,
Dave   AB7E