[TowerTalk] Broken Alpha Spid

To: towertalk@contesting.com, w0mu@w0mu.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Broken Alpha Spid
From: k7lxc--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 19:41:04 +0000 (UTC)
>  It appears that my Alpha Spid cut loose in some heave wind recently.? Iam
>looking to upgrade to something else.? I am turning a 4 ele SteppIRwith the
>30/40 loop and a 2 ele Cushcraft 40.
>  The Yaesu 2800 and Orion 2800 have been suggested.? I heard that youhave to
>be careful with the Yaesu and the mounting bracket as you canbreak it.?
Hiya, Mike -
    I endorse both rotators. Yes, the Yaesu mast clamp is cast aluminum and one
has to be careful when tightening it up but it'll turn a big load for a long
time. Their reliability seems to be good.

>  I have a Green Heron Controller.
    You'll need it with the Orion. It's a good worm gear drive rotator but the
clamp has 2 fatal problems and the controller is one only the designer can love.

>  It has also been suggested to get the NV or LXC mounting brackets for the
>Orion.
    I'm currently trying to get some more clamps (you listening, Paul?) and not
sure when they'll pop out.

Cheers,Steve     K7LXCTOWER TECHand
championradio.com