[TowerTalk] Yagi statcking order?

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yagi statcking order?
From: Art Greenberg <art@artg.tv>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 10:52:45 -0400 (EDT)
I have a SteppIR 3 element yagi. I want to add 40m and will probably do it with a 2 element yagi like the Shorty-40 or XM-240. And I'd like to have an 8 or 10 element yagi for 2m as well. I have about 17 feet of 2 inch 0.25 wall galvanized mast to work with.

Just guessing that normally yagis are stacked in order of decreasing wind cross section. But all three yagis are pretty close in cross section at around 6 square feet and in weight at around 50 pounds. The Shorty-40 has a 14 foot boom, the SteppIR has a 16 foot boom, the XM-240 has a 22 foot boom. I'm inclined to put the 2m yagi at the top of the mast, but should it go between the two HF yagis?

What stacking order makes the most sense?

I do realize that I won't have optimal spacing. Adding the 40/30 driven element to the SteppIR is a possibility but I'm interested in the gain a 2 element yagi will provide on 40m.

--
Art Greenberg
WA2LLN