Re: [TowerTalk] Yagi statcking order?

To: towertalk@contesting.com, art@artg.tv
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yagi statcking order?
From: k7lxc--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 16:49:27 +0000 (UTC)
>  I have a SteppIR 3 element yagi. I want to add 40m and will probably do it
with a 2 element yagi like the Shorty-40 or XM-240. And I'd like to have an 8
or 10 element yagi for 2m as well. I have about 17 feet of 2 inch 0.25 wall
galvanized mast to work with.
>  Just guessing that normally yagis are stacked in order of decreasing wind
>cross section. But all three yagis are pretty close in cross section at around
>6 square feet and in weight at around 50 pounds. The Shorty-40 has a 14 foot
>boom, the SteppIR has a 16 foot boom, the XM-240 has a 22 foot boom. I'm
>inclined to put the 2m yagi at the top of the mast, but should it go between
>the two HF yagis?
    This won't answer your question but here's a little known tip: mount the 2
HF antennas on opposite sides of the mast. This will cancel out some of the
wind vectors and wind generated torque on the mast. Dick Weber, K5IU, PE,
published an article in QEX years ago on this topic and it makes a lot of
sense. I'm just saying.

Cheers,Steve   K7LXCTOWER TECH