Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical Antenna Question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical Antenna Question
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 22:12:51 -0600
The Cushcraft R7/R8/R9 Verticals are 1/2 wave so they do not require radials.  I have one up and it works fine without any radials.  They work better if you can get them up in the air about 10ft or so.  Any antenna is better than no antenna but a vertical that requires radials and you don't have any is probably not going to work well.

The SteppIR verticals are pretty popular and if you are going to use ground radials Just try to put out  at least 16 to 32 of them as long as you can.  If you have to go around trees other blockages  then do so just keep the radials spaced equally apart. Short ones of 8 ft are fine in some directions too.

There are plenty of options even in a terraced yard.  Can you put up a self supporting pole?  What is the budget and what bands are you wanting coverage.

W0MU