Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical Antenna Question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertical Antenna Question
From: Richard Bell <richfbell@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2020 13:05:05 -0500
Looks like I’m a little late for this party. Thought I’d share my experience
with my very recent vertical project.

The backyard is on a slope. Soil conditions are pathetic, rock and clay (think
it may have been a model for the Flinstones movie set).  Numerous  trees, about
70 total.

The project was further complicated by the fact I live in antenna restricted
HOA.

I opted for a Mosley RV-7C, which I ordered from the company.

There was ample experimentation with the physical placement to ensure the
antenna would not be readily observable, somewhat away from the surrounding
trees, in a place where I could run radials that did not involve being diverted
around the surrounding trees and as far as possible from my inverted V.

Mosley documentation suggested a single above ground radial for each band. They
provided the length of each but the recommendation did not correspond to any
calculation I could come up with. Nor did they they recommend a height above
ground level for the radials (I’m still a bit disappointed with the doc
provided by the manufacturer).

With all of that said, I did the following:

Antenna is mounted on a 5 ft 4 inch galvanized 2 inch pole buried approximately
3.5 ft in depth.  That was as deep as I could get using an auger and a post
hole digger.

There are 4 radials each for 40, 30, 17 and 15 meters. I used the accepted
calculation for quarter wave radials.  All radials are run perpendicular to the
base and are not parallel to any other radial.

Each radial is supported by 1/2 inch PVC approximately 12” above ground level.
Yes, I used a fair amount of PVC in order to prevent sagging radials from
touching the ground.

The antenna is fed with about 150ft of Times Microwave LMR-400. I might add, I
did use their connectors.

So far I have no complaints about performance. I am able to use the antenna on
all bands with a tuner.  It seems to perform as desired. Don’t think it’s as
omnidirectional as I would like but it does accomplish getting me on the air.

I would like to model the antenna using a reputable antenna analyzer (read what
you like into that statement). But finances dictate that will have to wait.

OK, I’ve sucked up enough band with.  Good luck!

W5BXE Richard