Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted Vees

To: "'jimlux'" <jimlux@earthlink.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted Vees
From: "Wes Attaway \(N5WA\)" <wesattaway@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 22:09:40 -0500
This has been an interesting discussion.

I have two 40M/20M fan dipoles at right angles and they are in a slightly
inverted vee formation.  The one that is broadside to NE/SW has the center
up 72'.  The one that is broadside NW/SE has its center up 55'.

I also have an 80M OCF that is up 82' in the center and about 65' on each
end.

The comparative results are very interesting in the sense that as Jim Brown
explains the nulls can be very deep but also fairly sharp.  I find it
interesting to switch around between these antennas on different bands and
different times of day because the best RX results are often not what you
would expect.

In addition to focusing on the directional peaks and nulls you also have to
think about the elevation angles that come into play.  These angles, over
any particular path and band, can change from hour to hour and affect the
results that you get.

I often see the same things Jim does where a signal is stronger off the end
of one antenna than it is off the expected main lobe direction of another
antenna.

Wes Attaway (N5WA)
(318) 393-3289 - Shreveport, LA
Computer/Cellphone Forensics