Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted Vees

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted Vees
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 05:36:33 -0500
<<<As Jim pointed out horizontal polarization beats vertical
polarization almost all the time. Your V is H-pol. I've modeled dozens
of antennas for restricted spaces (like suburban lots) and, of course,
verticals are attractive in that application (inconspicuous, and they
fit), but I've not found something that consistently beats even an
electrically short horizontal dipole (or a V with shallow droop, up to
45 degrees). Unless your house is in the middle of a particularly
excellent soil properties (salt marshes again). There are specialized
cases where the trade might push one way or the other. Or you might
value inconspicuous over performance (defined in a TBD way).>>>

I have to disagree with this in one case, that of the ham who chases
DX on 40 and 80 meters and is unable to put a rotatable beam or dipole
up high enough on a tower to be effective.   My experience with
friends in these cases has been that they can achieve their goal of
5BDXCC using relatively modest loaded verticals at heights of 15 or 20
feet and a few elevated radials.  Horizontal antennas at the same
height are a show stopper.  BUT, the deal killer with the verticals
isn't on transmit, it is on _receive_.   These fellows _must_ have a
few varied receiving antenna options as the DX may well be engulfed in
noise on the transmit vertical.

73

Rob
K5UJ