Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: RFI

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: RFI
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2020 17:04:26 -0400
Many years ago when I had a bad location for line noise, I used a wideband scanner that could be kept in AM mode over the whole range of frequencies, and a small VHF/UHF TV log-yagi with a battery powered preamp. As you get closer and closer to the noise source you can start picking up the noise up around 450 MHZ and higher, and it's much easier at higher frequencies to pinpoint the exact pole. Never tried an ultrasonic RX, but that sounds like it should work well. When you get on top of the source, you can often hear it plain as day with no device at all, just your ears.

Yes I was asked a couple times to remove myself from someone's property :-)

-Steve K8LX