Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing Harness

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Climbing Harness
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2020 11:32:07 -0500
I use one of these:

https://www.elkriver.com/prod-19-1-533-65/eagletower-lx-harness-l.htm

I think it is similar to the Sala harness.

I use a double fall arrest lanyard to the dorsal ring, with two gorilla hooks, when climbing. If I'm doing a lot of work, I install a 5/8 inch lifeline and rope grab. I have to use the gorilla hooks once to put it up, and again to take it down, but in between using the rope grab is easier. If I have to stand on the top plate, above the end of the lifeline, I use the fall arrest lanyards.

Back in the days of my foolish youth, I free climbed the tower and used nothing but a climbing belt and positioning lanyard. When I had to stand on the top plate, I used a cheap rock climbing harness and a couple nylon slings. I'm sure glad that thing never had to arrest a fall!

Not a safety issue,  but I find it handy, when doing extensive antenna work, to install a crossbar with a pulley at each end near the top of the tower for lifting things, and keeping them clear of the tower.

73,
Scott K9MA