Re: [TowerTalk] 20m monoband Yagi height

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 20m monoband Yagi height
From: john@kk9a.com
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2020 12:23:18 -0500

As high as possible is not correct, the ideal height for a single 20m beam on flat ground is probably around 100'. I suspect that you'll get mostly anecdotal answers to this question unless someone happens to have separate towers at 50' and 70' with the same antennas and has switched between them. I have 20m Yagis at 75', 90' and 150'. I only operate during contests, I do not recall ever not being able to work a multiplier with just a lower antenna. A model will give you the true radiation angle/gain differences. Since it costs much more to later upgrade a 50' crankup tower to a 70' crankup, I would probably start out with the taller tower.

John KK9A

Robert KD4Q

Please forgive my inability to figure out how to search archives by subject as I have to imagine this is a common question.

Understanding the best answer is “as high as possible” and the second best answer is at least one wavelength...

I wanted to ask about some real world experience between 50’ and 66-70’...

Specifically: given the same antenna, same QTH, same general point in the solar cycle...

Has anyone had a 20m monoband, trapless beam at ~50’, then raised it to ~70’ and seen enough consistent improvement to justify the effort?

Background:

Given my QTH I have about 55’ to tilt my (in process of permitting) tower. If I want to go higher I’m clear to 70 easy. However it will require telescoping (e.g. lower to 55, then tilt) to be able to service from the ground — a requirement for me.)

The cost difference is very substantial all the way around: purchase, shipping, footing, installation).

So I’m wondering if it’s worth all the time and trouble to get an extra 15-20 feet?

Background: I’d like a big signal, would like to have at least a 50-75% chance to bust most pileups... even if it takes patience...but I’m a casual DXer who after 44 years is getting serious about 20m CW DXCC.

I’m not trying to be the guy who is first through the pileup or even places in a DX contest... but I’m tired of being the guy who can only reach for low hanging fruit. I want to work some more dopamine inducing DX and maybe turn in something more than average on contests.

I live in NE FL, a mile from the beach, on very sandy soils, and have oak trees at 45’.

Any insight appreciated.

Thanks es 73
Bob
KD4Q