Re: [TowerTalk] 20m monoband Yagi height

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 20m monoband Yagi height
From: David Gilbert <ab7echo@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2020 11:28:58 -0700

The answer to your question isn't simple, but HFTA will give you good insight into the problem.

50 feet will give you decent radiation at almost all elevation angles except for the very low ones (less than 5 to 8 degrees), but even from Florida to Europe those low angles are important.  70 feet will give you about 3 more dB at 5 degrees takeoff, but give you a deep notch at 31 degrees.  100 feet will give you about 6.5 db more than at 50 feet, but will give you a deep notch at 21 degrees.

It is very easy to do this in HFTA.  I'll send you a couple of plots for illustration.  The vertical purple bars represent the weighted importance of the various angles for the listed destination from Florida based upon the ARRL calculations for the distribution of the VOACAP variable TANGLE (optimum takeoff angle) ... which probably shouldn't be taken too literally since of the roughly 20 variables available for analysis in VOACAP, its author has stated that TANGLE probably has the least accuracy.  Still, as far as I know it's the probably the best we have at this point.

73,
Dave   AB7E