Re: [TowerTalk] Balun for Force 12 6 Element 20 Meter Monobander

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Balun for Force 12 6 Element 20 Meter Monobander
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 13:38:09 -0400
On 07/21/20 11:42 AM, Robert Harmon wrote:

  I just looked at the 5KW choke balun on the MyAntennas site.  I like the fact
that they show the choking impedance.  Not so with most of the other providers.
 I looked for the choking impedance data on the DXE baluns and could not find
it.  I guess I could call them and find out.
The last two choke baluns I installed, I made myself from Jim's cookbook. I know what the choing impedance is and it cost much less than buying one.............

From what I've heard, the properties of ferrites can vary wildly, especially from run to run, so unless you measure the one you make, you don't know.

OTOH, I'm not sure that it's possible to make a choke using recommended (by K9YC) method & parts and end up with a *useless* choke. It may not have the theoretical best impedance, but still......

-Steve K8LX