Re: [TowerTalk] Balun for Force 12 6 Element 20 Meter Monobander

To: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Balun for Force 12 6 Element 20 Meter Monobander
From: Ron WV4P <wv4ptn@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2020 13:50:01 -0500
When you mix in all the recent postings by Tom, W8JI, I'm not sure Anyone
really knows Anything about Chokes / Baluns. Most of the available data is
contradictive. The more I read on the subject the less I know.
I have a couple DXE and a bunch of Balun Designs 1:1 Baluns. Both seem to
be the same quality and close to the same construction.
The most compelling evidence I have seen to date was the K3LR Vid where
they tested the noise on the outside of the coax. But, in that test I
believe they were using 3 feet of beads on the outside of the coax like
K3LR uses on his OWAs, not a 1:1 in a box. How do they compare ?

*The only thing Consistent among the sources is that having a very high
choking impedance will not Hurt.* But, it may or may not be useful.

I am currently building a new station from the ground up on a blank slate.
Every wire, every coax, structure, every piece of metal on the property
will be there because I put it there. Armed with everything I have read...
I'm not much better off than just hap haphazardly building and trying to
fix issues as they pop up. My hope was to be proactive and build a "Quiet"
station from the start.  This thread has summed up what I have learned.

   - Everyone has a favorite.
   - They all sometimes seem to work.
   - What works at one station may not at another. (Why?)
   - Many may not even be needed.
   - We don't seem to have a standardized testing method to fully
   understand the Magic. (Each author / builders method claims theirs are
   superior)

I'd like to see tests done with actual commercial production devices in
working environments. I'd like to see exactly what effect buried coax has
on CM, direct bury and in conduit. CMC's placed at high current nodes VS
"Feed point and close to amp"

Ron, WV4P