Re: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft XM-240 Shortty-Forty questions

To: "'Reflectors - Towertalk@contesting.com'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft XM-240 Shortty-Forty questions
From: Gedas <w8bya@mchsi.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 10:28:34 -0400
In case you ever wonder what one looks like after taking a hit of lightning........

https://w8bya.com/Gallery/HAM_RADIO/MISC/images/IMG_0274a.jpg

Gedas, W8BYA EN70JT

Gallery at http://w8bya.com
Light travels faster than sound....

On 9/13/2020 6:09 AM, Jon Zaimes via TowerTalk wrote:
The newer XM-240s (MFJ) that I've seen use the painted-on coating, not
shrink-wrap as the earlier ones did. I've installed a couple and have not had
any reports of failures.

My own older XM-240, in service here about three years and in Virginia before
that for about 12 years, has the original shrink wrap and screws, and I've had
no problems. But others have had trouble with the screw/wire connection after
some years of service. I have repaired these with a stainless through-bolt and
lock nut.

W1WEF wrote up a detailed fix for this (on the earlier 40-2CD):
https://www.yccc.org/Scuttlebutt/2008/Butt0808.pdf

73/Jon

Jon P. Zaimes, AA1K
Tower climber for hire
http://www.aa1k.us/
Cell: 302-632-2353

Reviews of AA1K tower work on eham website:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/12922

Hug your favorite tower every day, and always stay connected to it.