Re: [TowerTalk] Tips for Modelling swaged antenna tubing sections

To: "TOWERTALK@contesting. com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tips for Modelling swaged antenna tubing sections
From: Charles Morrison <junkcmp@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 16:34:00 -0400
Thanks all for your comments.
Ive been modeling antennas for years and was looking for a trick, but there
must not be one. The numerical instability of a short segment compared to
the wavelength may pop up too.
Using EZNEC+ V6 with its 2000 segments, I'm at 1890 segments now. If I have
to add sections for the swages, I'm hoping not to use up more than all the
remaining segments.

An alternative would be to examine the swage, and split the largest portion
off to the large tube in the model and then the smallest portion to the
small tube.

For this project Ive ignored the swaging for one of the yagis (an M2) in
the middle of a 3-stack of 6ele 20M OWAs and its had a noticeable impact on
gain, FB and SWR.
All center freq's of those curves have moved down due to dismissing the
swage and creating a fatter element in several places along each element.
Even modeling the resonant freq of each individual elements of existing
middle yagi at the middle height (either in FS or real ground) and applying
those freqs to my M2 model still results in these shifts.
So that leaves only the errors from the my dismissal of the saging as the
last probable error.

I'll let you know what does resolve this.
-Charlie N1RR