Re: [TowerTalk] Tips for Modelling swaged antenna tubing sections

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tips for Modelling swaged antenna tubing sections
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 16:29:20 -0700
On 9/29/20 1:24 PM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
With NEC2 I avoid using short wires. If I had a swedged element I would use the length of the unswedge portion of the larger tube and for the next wire I would just add the length of the swedge portion of this tube to the smaller tube that fits inside it. The 1/8 difference in diameter for the small overlapping area should not make a difference on HF and I feel that the segments are more equal and that the model will be reasonably accurate.  Does NEC4 model short segments more accurately?

Yes, there's an improved basis function for the fields along the segment so it models short segs more accurately. That said, I'd model it as 3 segments: tube from center, slightly larger diameter for overlap, skinnier tube continuing out.

John KK9A

jimlux wrote:

but does the model actually show much difference? One can get way down
in the weeds with this - put a tapered segment in that's 1 cm long, etc.
But if the wavelength is 20 meters, a 1 cm transition is 0.0005
wavelength.  I'd worry more about numerical instability than model
accuracy at that point.