Re: [TowerTalk] Tips for Modelling swaged antenna tubing sections

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tips for Modelling swaged antenna tubing sections
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 10:10:15 -0700
On 9/29/20 10:00 AM, Mark - N5OT wrote:
Back when I would model stuff all the time (K6STI's YO) I just put in the swaged parts as separate segments that were the correct diameter and length as the swaged parts. That does not really compensate for the tiny bit of transition from larger to smaller, but my segments were chosen arbitrarily to be halfway through that tiny bit of transition (i.e. the combined lengths added up to the actual phisical length of the HyGain part I was modeling.  I figured no matter how inaccurate my method was,

but does the model actually show much difference? One can get way down in the weeds with this - put a tapered segment in that's 1 cm long, etc. But if the wavelength is 20 meters, a 1 cm transition is 0.0005 wavelength. I'd worry more about numerical instability than model accuracy at that point.