Re: [TowerTalk] 4 square question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4 square question
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 12:52:39 -0700
On 10/18/20 12:24 PM, kq2m@kq2m.com wrote:
Hi Alan,

I saw that too but it doesn’t answer my questions. "Radiation across the diagonals" is a vague and unhelpful statement.  It doesn’t address in what directions the elements should placed nor which elements are effectively being phased and radiating to produce the NE direction radiation.

73

if your 4 square is arranged so that the sides of the square are N/S and E/W (so you have elements at NW, NE, SE, SW, going around clockwise), then the "beams" are going to be along the diagonals of the square (so you can form a beam pointing NE, SE, SW, NW, etc.)

In the NE direction, the NE is lagging 90 degrees, the SE and NW elements are phased the same, and the SW element is leading 90 degrees. This makes the current distribution (in the beam direction) 1:2:1..
The actual hybrid generates 0 and 90, and you reverse the phase to get -90.

(there are reasons why you might want to use something other than 90 degrees, or alternately, space the antennas differently than 1/4 wavelength apart - but let's leave that for now.

You can also form an alternate phasing - Feed NE and SE the same, and NW and SW with 90 degrees leading to form a beam pointing East. (this is basically like two arrays in parallel)

http://tm1o.free.fr/4SQ/80m/en_ver_final4-sq_03_04_15.pdf is a handy reference