Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259 Crimp Connectors

To: Dave - W3NP <w3np@atlanticbb.net>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259 Crimp Connectors
From: Wayne Kline <w3ea@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 21:08:57 +0000
OK  I must confess I have in the past reused PL259’s . I used the long handled
pliyers and a low lever map gas hand torch methoud.

This was only done on the Teflon ( Amphenol ) and old Yellow  insulating
meterial.

I have an issue as I type this . I have redon my feedlines over the summer  and
used a grounding bar at the bottom of each tower.  I used CRIMP connector’s
with soldered center conductor, Dual heat shrink on the inner  barrel on one on
the compleat installed PL-259 9 yeas this is the HD flooded type HeatShrink. I
also tape with Scotch 33.  Molded  duck-seal and over layer of 88.  I have 30”
of snow and in that depth there  are two layers of ice .( it’s melting some
today  )

All my 5 Yagi antennas’ have insane high VSWR measured at the base of each
tower in a 24” Sq mounted BUD enclosure .
With the # of antennas each exhibiting the same  failure   My swearing by crimp
on connector’s maybe  Swearing  AT crimp conectores  !
Or take a hard look at my grounding WX proofing application

Court is still out till we get a melt but if the walks like a DUCK , Quakes
like a DUCK  It  just might be a DUCK ?

Wayne ,W3EA