Re: [TowerTalk] pulley advice

To: k4to@arrl.net, kj6y--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] pulley advice
From: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 14:30:22 -0800
I need to replace pulleys used to haul up 80 meter dipole ends.  I need to
find sources for good quality pulleys, perhaps stainless steel types used
on sailboats?

When I was doing some mast/tower work, I came across "fixed eye" blocks here's an example:

https://www.e-rigging.com/quarter-inch-hd-fixed-eye-snatch-block

I found the tolerances tight, and you have to remove the clevis pin to loop the cable/rope through, so it can't jump out, and I've never had any pinches.

I don't recall seeing these at Lowe's, or Home Depot, I bought mine from either Copeland Lumber, or a farm supply shop.

I also came across "yarding blocks", they are VERY rugged, here's an example:

https://www.westechrigging.com/block-import-toggle-pin-5.html

I don't have a yarding block, I found the fixed-eye block adequate, and in looking at the pics, I'd replace the easy-to-remove quick disconnect pin with a clevis pin and clip for added safety, in case something hits it.

The cost isn't that high, considering, and I'd personally get something in the 4" plus range for ease of pulling, and for a few bucks more, ratings go up by the ton, so for a few tens of dollars, one can pull up a couple hundreds pounds of equipment with 5 tons of overhead for safety.

Kurt