Re: [TowerTalk] pulley advice

To: "'KD7JYK DM09'" <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>, <k4to@arrl.net>, "'kj6y--- via TowerTalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] pulley advice
From: "Ron Gorski" <ron-n9au@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 23:10:17 -0000
You might look to McMaster-Carr
N9AU

-----Original Message-----
From: TowerTalk <towertalk-bounces@contesting.com> On Behalf Of KD7JYK DM09
Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2021 10:30 PM
To: k4to@arrl.net; kj6y--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>

> I need to replace pulleys used to haul up 80 meter dipole ends.  I
> need to find sources for good quality pulleys, perhaps stainless steel
> types used on sailboats?

When I was doing some mast/tower work, I came across "fixed eye" blocks
here's an example:

https://www.e-rigging.com/quarter-inch-hd-fixed-eye-snatch-block

I found the tolerances tight, and you have to remove the clevis pin to loop
the cable/rope through, so it can't jump out, and I've never had any
pinches.

I don't recall seeing these at Lowe's, or Home Depot, I bought mine from
either Copeland Lumber, or a farm supply shop.

I also came across "yarding blocks", they are VERY rugged, here's an
example:

https://www.westechrigging.com/block-import-toggle-pin-5.html

I don't have a yarding block, I found the fixed-eye block adequate, and in
looking at the pics, I'd replace the easy-to-remove quick disconnect pin
with a clevis pin and clip for added safety, in case something hits it.

The cost isn't that high, considering, and I'd personally get something in
the 4" plus range for ease of pulling, and for a few bucks more, ratings go
up by the ton, so for a few tens of dollars, one can pull up a couple
hundreds pounds of equipment with 5 tons of overhead for safety.

Kurt

https://www.avg.com