Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: Radials on ground v FCP

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: Radials on ground v FCP
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 14:46:29 -0800
On 1/11/22 1:55 PM, Wes wrote:
I've already posted a copy of what N7CL posted to this group years ago.  His work, as well as the work of others, can also be found in ON4UN's  "Low Band DXing" starting on page 9-14 of the 5th edition.  The answer is there.

Additionally see: "A Closer Look at Vertical Antennas With Elevated Ground Systems" by Rudy Severns N6LF.  He recommends 10-12 elevated radials as a minimum.

Wes  N7WS

My ON4UN is not readily to hand, so I couldn't check it.

Rudy has a wealth of modeled and measured data, but the only comparison I saw with height of radials was between 8 feet (about 0.03 lambda) and 6" (0.002 lambda).

And the difference was <0.25 dB (Figure 13).

Jim's comment was that N6BT had recommended 20ft for 160m and that Jim saw a significant improvement  going from 6 ft to 20 ft. Which is inconsistent with Rudy's observations.

But what I was getting at was not just the phenomenology but the underlying physics.

The radials over ground thing is an interesting problem, because there's a lot going on.