Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: Radials on ground v FCP

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: Radials on ground v FCP
From: Lee Hiers <lee.hiers@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 16:52:30 -0500
On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 3:54 PM Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
wrote:

I wouldn't describe K2AV's signal in NorCal as "great" compared to other
> NC stations, who are always louder. I view his FCP as a compromise
> solution for those for whom radial systems are not practical. The FCP is
> a quarter-wavelength wire, folded. Two of my neighbors have rigged it at
> their stations.
>
> I don't see physical logic for why an FCP would be better at high angles
> than low.

I can't either.  But I have noticed K2AV's signal is one of the louder
signals here in Georgia while listening on my inverted-L - I'm 278 miles
from K2AV and about 30 miles from NO9E.  I presume the loudness could be
location and takeoff angle.

73 de Lee, AA4GA