Re: [TowerTalk] Help wanted: Removing Prodelin hardline jacket

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Help wanted: Removing Prodelin hardline jacket
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2022 15:55:19 -0400
Just had a thought - the right pizza cutter wheel might work for the lengthwise cut!

-Steve K8LX

On 9/19/2022 11:50 AM, Steve Maki wrote:
Absent a prep tool made for the cable, you're stuck with using a utility knife with a NEW blade. After you score the jacket with your pipe cutter, make the lengthwise knife cut slowly using a fair bit of pressure. It will take a few passes. I wouldn't worry too much if the shield gets nicked a little on the lengthwise cut. You do NOT want it to be nicked by the pipe cutter though. Jim's suggestion of heating the jacked might help some. If you only need to remove a 1/2" of jacket, a good technique is to simply use downward pressure (a ton) with a rocking motion of the blade.

I thought I'd had my hands on just about every hardline cable known to man, but yours is the 2nd recent reference to Prodelin cable. I've never heard of it. Prodelin was a big name in the satellite earth station industry for many years. Most cable used in that segment was 75 ohms. But early on when the first downconversion happened inside the building, they used 50 ohm cable to transport the 4 GHZ LNA output. Usually it was mere RG-8, but on long runs it would be hardline.

-Steve K8LX