Re: [TowerTalk] solid THHN vs jacketed copperweld

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] solid THHN vs jacketed copperweld
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 19:04:35 -0400
Thanks Jim.

I know this is a scenario of diminishing returns...how many skin depths does one shoot for?

On 9/27/2022 5:31 PM, Lux, Jim wrote:
On 9/27/22 2:22 PM, Steve Maki wrote:
I seem to recall ordering Copperweld wire, but it was a long time ago.

Just a quick note that after replacing the (insulated) #12 THHN with the same length insulated #12 "copper clad steel tracer wire", we could see no change in resonant frequency, so there seems to be enough copper cladding for my purpose at 3.5 MHZ.

There will only be an inch or so of wire exposed to the air at the center insulators, so that will be easy to monitor for corrosion over time (such as it is :-) Or I may coat the exposed wire with liquid tape.

73, Steve K8LX

Skin depth in copper at 4 MHz is 1.3 mils, 32 microns.

Copperweld

https://www.copperweld.com/application/files/4915/3833/2604/Welded_Copper-covered_Steel_CCS_21.pdf

21% CCS AWG 12 has 0.0808" diamter (2.05mm) with a nominal thickness of 0.0616 mm ( so about 2 skin depths at 4 MHz)

https://www.copperweld.com/application/files/7115/3833/2604/Welded_Copper-covered_Steel_CCS_40.pdf

40% CCS  has copper that is 0.2052 mm thick ( 6 skin depths)