Re: [TowerTalk] Peak Voltage at the tips of ants ?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Peak Voltage at the tips of ants ?
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2022 06:57:28 -0700
On 10/4/22 11:28 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
On 10/4/2022 10:30 PM, KD7JYK DM09 wrote:
I may be crazy here, but, am I the only one that remembers using, and all the drawings in all the books of using, a meter to measure voltage, or current, along an antenna, starting at the feed-point, if one desires, and moving to the tips?

Is this no longer a thing?

Hi Kurt,

There may have been illustrations to convey concepts of voltage and current distributions in textbooks, but actually making those measurements is another story. There is a fundamental principle of measurement we learn in engineering classes that it is impossible to perfectly measure a system without changing it. The disturbance may be small, but there will be one. We enter a closed room to measure the temperature; the opening of the door allows air flow, our body heat raises the temperature. We want to measure the behavior of sound bouncing around a room; the presence of our body, and the equipment we use to make the measurement, changes the acoustics of the space.

Measuring voltage and current of an antenna that is in the air is a great example -- how would you physically do that? The physical presence of a person next to the antenna holding the current probe changes the antenna by the coupling of his body to the antenna!

With respect to the voltage at the end, since it is a very high impedance point, any conductive object next to it, even a high impedance voltmeter, changes it. And if you're measuring the voltage with respect to ground, there must be a wire connecting the meter to ground. :)

Many years ago, I saw some good work measuring current distribution along radials in the radial system for a vertical. Here, the disturbance could be small enough to provide meaningful data, but I would expect accuracy to degrade as the current approaches zero at the end.

As it happens, when you do "near field" measurements of antennas (typically microwave, but also for AM broadcast and shortwave) they DO actually measure the E and H fields at multiple points and then mathematically transform that to the far field.

In the case of AM BC antennas, the "probe" is very small (on the order of a foot), and it's not measuring the voltage to ground, but, rather, the field in Volts/meter (typically in three axes). Then, later you can mathematically transform it.

In the case of microwave antennas, the probe is usually an open ended waveguide, which has theoretically well defined properties. In both cases, one can calibrate the probe separately.

Finally, there is some literature out there on making near field measurements with tiny sensors suspended by conductors of space cloth (which has an impedance of 377 ohms/square, just like free space).  Another scheme (Bolomey, if I recall correctly) used an array of little diodes turned on and off, (via spacecloth, or resistive wires with impedance 377/square) and they'd measure the changes in the feedpoint impedance.