Re: [TowerTalk] More friction needed

To: Steve Dyer W1SRD <w1srd@yahoo.com>, "'towertalk@contesting.com'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] More friction needed
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2022 13:49:47 -0800
The work can be done on many home shop lathes - 12x36 and even some smaller, so check around for who might be willing to help.

A piece of tubing or a mandrel of most anything the size of the mast minus 0.050" or so makes the setup easier - centering the two halves and then boring to the desired diameter, recenter and repeat as necessary to get a square bore and enough teeth and area on the teeth. Three or 4 cleaned up teeth per row on each half with 1/4" contact areas is what I decided was about right. While I bored for a 3" mast, I think the casting should work for a 2" bore.

An hour or two of lathe time if you can find a commercial shop willing to take it on.

It's clear the design intent was to work with all mast diameters, but that limits the possible tooth engagement. Then adding casting variability created a marginal clamp system. Mold wear yields more variability and base machining is difficult to get square on the cast teeth. It's a classic problem in machining an iron casting - what is the best reference surface or where should one be machined?

I think many masts slip because bolts are not tightened to spec and not retightened evenly another couple of times. Also, using stainless steel bolts, some of which have a tendency to stretch a bit over time. My DB36 stock mast clamp slipped 3 times before I reinforced the aluminum "C" clamps on the backside with 1/2" thick steel bar and used grade 8 bolts torqued to spec 3x. The stock "C" collar pair would close to tips touching and that made further tightening useless.

I am also a big fan of the DX Engineering cast saddle U bolt clamp sets. The saddle has a large contact area with the mast or tube and my choice for all home brew antennas. Never had one slip. A great part for making a multi U bolt mast clamp.

A u-bolt holding a tube against a flat plate may have only 2 contact points. Using many u-bolts is one approach. Deforming the u-bolts to increase the "wrap" is another. Or flattening the tube.

Grant KZ1W