Re: [TowerTalk] Radial Ends Buried???

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radial Ends Buried???
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2022 12:20:56 -0800
On 11/18/2022 11:51 AM, Jeff Blaine wrote:
N6LF's article should be first stop for anyone serious about the topic.

YES!

I assume that K3LC Al's conclusions on optimal length vs. count would match up roughly with N6LF's.  The key point here is that from getting the best bang for your radial investment, there's both count and length to consider.

About ten years ago, and before Rudy, N6LF, had published his landmark 2-part QEX studying about elevated radials, I put together this talk, which is primarily about radial systems for 160M. None of it is my original work, but rather summarizing work by others, including K3LC. I suspect that one of the variables between Rudy, K3LC, and other authors is their ground conductivity. In general, the worse the soil, the greater the benefit of a more extensive the radial/counterpoise system. My soil is terrible -- below the surface of duff from the redwoods, it's mostly rock.

http://k9yc.com/160MPacificon.pdf

W1SRD's description of his radial system perfectly fits what I did for my 100 ft Tee, beginning in 2006 when I moved here, and have expanded over the years. Part of the variability in length in mine is that the feedpoint is only about 12 ft from the building that houses my shack, and it's only about 80 ft to the road.

Another point -- the ONLY reason for an earth connection is lightning protection. And whoever wrote that equipment manual didn't understand how radials work.

73, Jim K9YC