Prelim Score from N7DD

Chuck Claver claver at noao.edu
Tue Feb 20 13:28:15 EST 1996

Call: N7DD
Opperator: NJ6D
Class: 40M Single Band HP
Equipment: FT1000MP & 8877
Antennae: 3elm Full Size @110ft + 3elm KLM @70ft + wires

Preliminary score: 1023 Qs x 96 Ctys = 294,264 pts

I still have a couple of mults to resolve, like TO5 counting as France when it
should have been counted as FM, because of an old cty file.

The contest started slowly from the West coast.  I spent the first few hours
searching and pouncing.  As the night wore on Friday I check for JA more
and more frequently, until sometime just before 5 UT, when it was time to
point the antennae to the North West.  My JA run the first day was very good
lasting well after local sunrise and blending in with a good long path opening.
Long path netted some much needed multipliers and a fair number of Qs.  Finally
shut things down for some sleep at 16:30.  The second day also started slowly,
search and pounce for a while.  I managed a bit of a European run (fast walk
really) late the second night, just before I would once again turn towards the
Pacific.  The JAs were still plentiful the second night, but as expexted the
rate was down a bit.  I got some needed mults from the Caribean at this time
as well off the back of the antennae.  I managed to hit the TX button on the
clarifier at some point before the second long path causing my transmit
frequency to wander all over as I tuned the clarifier for recieve. As a
result the second long path was poor for me as well as all other Qs - live
and learn. I finished the contest searching and pouncing for Qs and multipliers
and netted a few.

We had a good rain here in Arizona a few days before the contest.  I think
this helped considerably to keep the noise down and raise the conductivity
of the soil. Both good things.  It has been a very dry winter here and we'll
take all the help we can get - hi.

All-in-all a great contest for me.  The FT1000MP is a very good radio for long
haul opperating.  I don't get nearly as fatigued listening to this radio for
hours on end as some others.  The DSP filter really helped when chasing week
multipliers in and amungst the heavy QRM.  My experience in CQWW earlier paid
off for this contest, as I am still learning the ropes as a true blue
contester.  I regard myself lucky as a fledgling contester have become
friends with Larry, N7DD - a gracious host and a knowledgable mentor.  Thanks
to everyone who worked me durring the contest.

Cheers - Chuck Claver
         de NJ6D